This role will not be elected in the 2022-23 term. The ‘Advocacy and Outreach Manager’ and ‘Membership and Alumni Manager’ positions will become the Membership and Advocacy Manager and the Outreach Manager from now onwards.
This page contains information a candidate for Advocacy and Outreach Manager of the IAPS Executive Committee (EC) needs to know. Be sure to first read what any EC candidate needs to know.
Note: regarding the office description, it is important to know the tasks of EC members for a given year, considering what is defined in the Charter and Regulations, are proposed by the EC of the previous year. This proposal may be the object of changes during the Annual General Meeting (AGM) at which the EC members are elected by decision of AGM participants, either due to a specific proposal or as a result of Charter or Regulations changes.
The IAPS EC proposed the following tasks for the Advocacy and Outreach Manager:
- Manage advocacy issues and investigate topics of importance to members
- Advocate for students’ rights at local and international level
- Manage educational and informational events
- Propose and manage outreach activities on international scale
- Promote and encourage educational projects
- Organise and support School Day activities
- Organise and support International Day of Light activities
- Organise and support a new event promoting gender equality in physics society
- Experience in outreach initiatives
- Creativity in designing activities, important for any outreach strategy
- Awareness capacity regarding the issues that the scientific community faces, for which outreach is an important tool of knowledge and proximity
- Preparing statements regarding advocacy issues in coordination with the PR Manager
- Following news in the world of Physics studies, particularly decisions by public officials that might have an impact on the Physics community
What to expect right after the AGM
- Your first official EC meeting, still during ICPS, with the outgoing EC
- Your handover meeting with the outgoing Outreach Manager
- Review previous editions of IAPS School Day
What to expect throughout the year
- Communicating with several committees that might participate in IAPS School Day
- Receiving proposals for outreach activities
- Developing the Science outreach strategy of IAPS
Are you ready to run? Go back here and check how you announce your candidature.
If you’re unsure about running, recall what the great wizard Gandalf once said: “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”